Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm a Grandma




I have been called a grandma for years. I think its my hair. Maybe not even my hair, but my head. I think my head shape mixed with my curly hair mixed with my impatience for primping makes my hair stick out like old-fashioned-grandma poof hair. Anyway, I've been accused of being my kids' grandma and my sisters' mom for about 13 years now. It has never really bugged me too bad, but I was always a bit annoyed, especially when I was still in my 30's and I wanted people to know I was my children's mother.

On February 17th Penelope Wren Dougal was born and turned me into an official grandma and all of a sudden I'd like everyone to call me grandma now and I'll gladly show you all her pictures to prove it. I was lucky enough to see the miracle of her birth and when she came home I tried to give the new mom and dad a little extra rest by snuggling with Penny for the good part of two nights. Of course, it was all selfishness more than helping them, really. I knew I'd have to leave in a few days, so I held on to that heaven-gift all I could.

She likes me I think, and even the poof hair hasn't phased her. How's that for this year's post?

5 comments:

  1. I like that your posts are now yearly :)
    She does like you! You are the only person that she won't cry with. I'm glad you were able to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most perfect post...ever:-) You were born a perfect baby & have been the best daughter - you became a wonderful mother ...and I can just imagine the incredible grandma you will be. In fact, it just doesn't get any better than being called "grandma". Erin is a sweet new mommy...and Penny has the best start in life...her grandma was there to welcome her into the world:-) Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, the whole Grandma thing is a little weird because Grandmas are "old" and you aren't "old". She sure is something else though...so excited to see her soon too. Was it just amazing to be there for her birth? I'm so glad to have a daughter who might let me have the same experience you did with Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to be there ...I was with Kelly when Erin was born. A real gift from heaven...it makes me especially happy that it could be that way for Kelly & Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy for you, but it's kinda weird at the same time...I remember you having Erin! Man I doted on that baby girl. Penny looks to be her mothers and grandmothers child. They look a lot alike to me. Precious babes. Great Aunt sounds older than grandma. It's kind of fun to call you grandma Kel in my head though. :-)

    ReplyDelete