Monday, March 23, 2009

Stuff

So, Garity said I needed to update my blog. I guess I do.

Actually, I have tried to enjoy being a mega-blogger, but I'm just not. I tried to be a tole-painter and a scrap-booker too, and I just couldn't. I think blogging and face-booking is like electronic scrap-booking. I know it is great relaxation for some folks, but it sorta makes me feel ADD. But in an effort to connect to all who like it, I will try every now and then.

So, for now I'll just tell you what is on my mind. I've been thinking a lot about STUFF. Like the kind people acquire. I just think there is too much. Here. In this country. I like some of it, but not the "too much" of it, which has always lead me to try to not have that much-- on purpose --(contrary to what some people think). I just think that our disposable, instant gratification, keep up with the Joneses attitudes are basically what has lead to our national crisis. I read a book a few years ago called "Affluenza", which talks about overconsuming, over-needing and wasting STUFF. It compares affluence and consumerism to a disease (hence, Affluenza). I loved it. I agreed with it and found an author who agreed with what I had thought all along. Maybe I should have explained to people earlier on in my life that the reason I get most of my clothes at thrift stores and cook from scratch and avoid buying gadgets and "toys" when they first come out is because I like to win. I win if I can buy nice things on clearance or second-hand or later when the popularity factor has worn off. I win if I can make food cheaper (and better, by the way) than restaurants. I don't do it because it is my only option or I just don't know how to be on the cutting edge of consumerism. I just don't like the cutting edge, because that is where the losers are. They are getting suckered into the traps of the marketers and are losing a lot. Anyway, read "Affluenza" then take a look at this SNL clip. It's just what's been on my mind.

UPDATE: Harrison's post reminded me of another favorite book, "The Millionaire Next Door"-great book. I always laughed that this author calls STUFF "Status Artifacts" HA ha!!! So funny.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree Kelly. You put that so well. You have been an influence for more good than you know...and I'm proud of you and your family. Erin mentioned that Jay had been in the hospital in her blog. Is he ok? I hope so. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I agree, I agree. Thanks for teaching me how to can and get free onions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I really like that book and that skit. In fact, right now for English I am doing a report on how having things can make us unhappy in the long run. Too much stuff is just bad, and it makes a house look cluttered (especially in our tiny house)
    -Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather and I liked the authors of "The Millionaire Next Door" who called giving children too much "economic outpatient care" and he talked about raising children with "calculated deprivation". He talks a lot about how most millionaires don't have very much and you wouldn't know they have a lot of money because they don't have a lot of STUFF. He talks about the happiness factor in it all--you should read that book too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! Yes I'm happy you updated.

    As for your post: Too true. I suffer from a side effect of frugality though, it's called "can't throw anything away" and it drives Kris nuts. He's a minimalist in the truest sense and I save everything and anything that may have a use later. It's all organized-OCD like-in labeled bins which Kris makes fun of. At least it's not all over the place like what hoarders have. I also can't stand paying full price for anything even though we may be able to afford it. I know if I'm patient there will always be a sale and you are right...it's an "I win" thing. Patience pays off when it comes to new gadgets because often time shows what a waste of $$$ they actually are and then you don't want them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garity,
    Kerry has the same minimalism problem! (She claims it comes from moving so much as a kid). One of these days (probably after this life) when I find out all the stuff of mine she's thrown away I will get even. She just laughs at me because I have no idea what she's gotten rid of.

    ReplyDelete