Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Clog

So this is the deal, I have long resisted blogging. I like other people’s blogs just fine, but really haven’t had the time or patience to start one myself. But today something happened that begs for a story to be told. So, because I have no blog I’m putting it on a document. And because the word “blog” was originally “website log”, then shortened to “web log”, then they contracted the words and dropped the first two letters to make “blog”; I figured this is a “document log”, shortened to “doc log”, then contracted, with the first two letters dropped to make a “clog”. I also think it will probably clog your email when I send it.

So here you go…my first clog.

Well, I don’t know how many of you have been paying attention to the national news lately, but if you have, you may know that Idaho is host to the 2009 World Special Olympic Games. They are being held mostly in the Treasure Valley and McCall, with the opening ceremonies actually in our own back yard in the Idaho Center here in Nampa. Our family has long been a fan of Special Olympics. Marie competed with them for a year and went to the Idaho State Special Olympics. And Dallan did his Eagle Project for the Special Olympics, too.

Lucky us, our Folk Dance group was invited to perform in the “Olympic Village” in Boise this evening. We were all excited and once we got there, not disappointed with the wonderful international atmosphere and first rate organization of the event. So it came time to dance, and after being held in the green room with an official performer pass (fun!), Ana and the group were brought to the stage to perform.

It was a beautiful show, just as nice as any other we’ve performed. Ana and her classmates did great. The crowd was loving it. In fact, we noticed that part of the Mexican delegation of athletes had gathered.

And then, during the last song, which is so well known in Mexico, there was a Special Olympics athlete from the Mexican ice skating team who recognized the song. In fact we’re pretty sure he had danced it before. He just put himself right into the dance and the show went on. He was having so much fun and so was our group and the crowd.

They were cheering for him right up to the end when he, true to tradition, knelt down in front of his “partner” to give her his hand. By that time another of his team mates had joined in the dance and many of the crowd had a tear or two.So, of course, when it came time to bow, our director grabbed them by the hand and they took a bow with us.

And bam!—instant friends!

And they wanted to wear our hats and beads. They really liked the beads.

So, of course, we gave them all of our beads!



So we have no beads for our show this Thursday. But some pretty cool figure skaters from Mexico do. And Ana got a trading pin from one of them that is worth more to her than any of her beads.

On the way home it all hit her and she got choked up and told me that was the best dance performance ever. It was.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. I love your writing so I'm especially glad for that. I will still talk to you though, I love that too. What an inspiring story. Ana is so pretty. She will remember that always. By the way, cute background.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it,love it, love it! What a great experience. I was watching coverage of the special olympics on the news last night and thought of you guys! What a coincidence! Love you guys!
    Jen Gozart
    (PS. Welcome to the blogworld!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures you posted, what a great experience for your family. I also watched the coverage of the Special Olympics and it was fun. Anna is a beutiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wonderful. Those are "magic moments" in our lives -- Ana looked beautiful and the young man who joined in (I'm sure) ....made everyone's day. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Love, Mom/grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to make a big fat prego tear up in front of my boys! What an amazing experience!

    I love all the shots of Ana's dress twirling (is that what it's called?) If you come down we'll get tickets to the Ballet Folklorico at the Palacio de Bellas Artes. I can't even watch that performance without a full box of tissues it's so freaking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1/2 the fun of blogging is getting comments and you have way more than I've ever gotten! :-) Sent a whole e-mail about my own "choking" up, but thanks again for creating another door way to your life for all of us to come in and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW what a deligthfull girl Anna is she is always so sweet and so talented I know she will be remenbered by all those people the got to know her, viva Anna que viva..........keep sending pictures I love sein your family having fun....love Silvia

    ReplyDelete